How to Become a Freelance Copywriter
It is possible to do what you love and love what you do. If English and Composition were your best classes in school, but you are working in a career field that you hate, you may have what it takes to become a freelance copywriter. Freelance copywriting is not as difficult as you may think and you can actually make money from the privacy of your own home. Imagine working at home in your pajamas while making a decent salary to support your family. You cannot beat that. People who naturally have strong written skills should definitely consider this career field. Strong writers are needed on a daily basis. You may not become rich, but you can at least make some extra money to help pay your bills. It is simple to become a freelance copywriter. All you need to do is enroll in some copywriting courses online so that you can learn the basics of what it takes to land your first gig as a freelance copywriter. It is easy to learn copywriting. You can catch on in no time.
How Much Can a Copywriter Make?
The copywriter salary can vary greatly. The better writer you are the more earning potential that you have. The amount of money that you can make as a freelance writer can also depend on the type of writing that you are capable of and how well you can do it. Your skill level is one of the most important factors that determine your earning potential as a freelance writer. The type of jobs that you take also can determine how much money you make. Some vendors have a higher budget for their project than others. You also need to consider how much work is going to be involved in the project. The more complicated and complex a project is, the more a freelance writer can charge.
- Copywriters can charge by the hour. Depending on your skill, you could make a considerable chunk of change by charging an hourly rate.
- Some copywriters prefer to charge by the word. First time copywriters can expect to make as much as a few dollars per page while more experienced copywriters can expect to make much more.
- Other copywriters prefer to charge a fixed rate for a project. A fixed rate means that you and the vendor both agree on a price for a given amount of work. Many freelance writing jobs are on a fixed rate budget.
Tips to making it in the World of Copywriting
- Be the best writer that you can be. Pay attention to details such as grammar and punctuation. These small things can set you aside from writers who rush through their work.
- Set yourself apart from the crowd by always meeting your deadlines, providing the highest quality work you can offer, and keep promises that you make to your vendors. Before long, your work schedule may be overflowing with referral work.
- Charge a reasonable rate for your ability. While not everyone can be a writer and the skill is very important in today’s day in age, do not charge a ridiculous rate for your services. You will have more job opportunities if you do not price gouge your clients.
- Put yourself out there. The best way to snag a writing position is to go after one passionately. It may be difficult to face rejection, but you might be surprised by the opportunities that you can land. Do not be afraid to send your resume off to businesses that may require your services. You never know!
The Perks, Pros, and Cons of Becoming a Freelance Copywriter
There are a lot of perks and cons associated with freelance writing. One of the biggest perks about becoming a freelance writer is that you will be your own boss. The ability to set your own hours can provide you with a long list of perks. You can work when you feel like working. You are in control of how many projects that you take on. You can work as much or as little as you like. The power is yours. One of the biggest cons associated with becoming a freelance writer is that you never know if you will have a steady stream of income. You may be booming with business one month, but not have any new leads, clients, or jobs the next. You never know how much money you can expect to make unless you land a full time position.
The Types of Available Writing Positions You Could Take Advantage
There are many different types of writing positions available to choose from. There are many types of writing jobs available as well. Your options are not limited. The more writing skills that you acquire the more jobs you can pursue. There are writers needed who can compose press releases, newsletters, articles, web content, bloggers, email auto responders, as well as sales letters. Technical writers as well as academic and marketing writers are always needed. If you have creative abilities and a strong command of the English language, copywriting just might be the perfect job for you. Search engine optimization writers are also needed. There are plenty of freelance writing opportunities out there to take advantage of. A SEO copywriter can find tons of work online.
Companies Hiring Freelance Writers
- Marketing Companies – Many companies hire freelance writers. Marketing companies are always on the lookout for fresh and talented writers at cost friendly rates.
- Online Businesses – Businesses who are taking their company online always need to supply their visitors with fresh content. You could be the writer who provides the engaging content that these businesses require.
- Local businesses in your area may also require the use of a content writer or copywriter. You never know where your skills can come in useful.
Where to Find Resources Concerning Freelance Copywriting
There are tons of resources online that can help you gain more information and insight into the world of freelance writing. If you are hoping to learn more about what it takes to hone your craft, the best place to start looking is online. A simple web search with your most trusted search engine can provide you with a ton of information about what it takes to break into the freelance writing world. You can also keep up to date about opportunities in your field. You can also check out your local library or book store to find copywriting books that can teach you the fundamentals of copywriting. It is important to know what you are doing before you throw yourself out there. You can also join freelance writing groups on the web. Not only can you gain connections in the world of freelance writing, you can also gain an online reputation as a professional web copywriter. You can also gain access to freelance copywriting jobs. The opportunities out there can be very lucrative.
The Pitfalls of Freelance Writing
- You never know when you will have enough work to cover your financial needs.
- Being your own boss can allow you to slack off from time to time.
- You may get too wrapped up in your work. It is easy to become a workaholic when you are a freelance copywriter.
- You may get sick of writing no matter how passionate you are about it.
- If you do not take precautions, you can get ripped off from time to time. Shady vendors should be avoided at all costs.
Where to Find Freelance Copywriting Jobs
The best place to find freelance writing jobs is on the web. There are many websites like Elance, Freelancer, Guru, and Odesk that connect freelance writers to those who are seeking their services. You would not believe the opportunities that you have available to you. There are jobs available for those who write articles and web content as well as academic and technical writers. Copywriters and even creative writers are also needed on these websites. There are thousands of jobs listed on each website. You are sure to get your foot in the door of freelance copywriting. All you need to do to get started is to sign up for a membership at one of the freelance websites. Some websites allow you to sign up for free, but you can expect to pay a few fees along the way. There are fees to gain access to more job proposals and fees to transfer funds once you start working. These fees allow these websites to stay in business and keep connecting vendors with freelance contractors. As a contractor you can place a bid on a project posted by a vendor. If the vendor is interested in your bid, they can contact you to set up work arrangements. There is not a better way to find freelance copywriting work. You can also find freelance copywriting work on websites like Craigslist. There are ample opportunities for you to take advantage of. Do not delay in putting yourself out there and learning more about becoming a freelance writer.